Welcome to TraitDNA™, a non-medical personal genetic information, screening and analysis service provided by TRAITDNA, Inc. (“Company” or “TRAITDNA” or “we” or “our” or “us”), which is accessible to eligible users through TraitDNA’ websites at https://traitdna.com and/or through such other websites and/or mobile applications that TRAITDNA may develop in the future. The TraitDNA™ service and associated websites and mobile applications, whether existing now or in the future, including all content, data, information, reports, software, tools, links and resources provided by TRAITDNA on or through the TraitDNA™ service and associated websites and mobile applications, are referred to hereinafter collectively as the “Service”.
2. IMPORTANT DISCLAIMERS. YOU EXPRESSLY ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE AS FOLLOWS:
- TRAITDNA DOES NOT PROVIDE MEDICAL ADVICE, MEDICAL DIAGNOSIS OR RECOMMENDATION FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT, AND DOES NOT PROVIDE GENETIC ANALYSIS OR REPORTS REGARDING DISEASES OR MEDICAL CONDITIONS OR TENDENCIES FOR DISEASES OR MEDICAL CONDITIONS.
- THE SERVICE IS NOT INTENDED TO CONSTITUTE OR SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT. IF YOU NEED ADVICE REGARDING DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT, OR PREVENTION OF ANY DISEASE, HEALTH OR MEDICAL CONDITION, YOU SHOULD CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR OR OTHER QUALIFIED HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONALS.
- YOU SHOULD NEVER USE THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE FOR SELF-DIAGNOSIS, TREATMENT, OR PREVENTION OF ANY DISEASE OR HEALTH OR MEDICAL CONDITION. IF YOU DO, YOU DO SO SOLELY AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- THE SERVICE AND ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED.
- THE SERVICE AND GENETIC INFORMATION PROVIDED BY TRAITDNA ARE FOR RESEARCH, INFORMATIONAL, AND EDUCATIONAL USE ONLY. MANY OF THE GENETIC DISCOVERIES THAT WE REPORT HAVE NOT BEEN CLINICALLY VALIDATED, AND THE TECHNOLOGY WE USE, WHICH IS THE SAME TECHNOLOGY USED BY THE RESEARCH COMMUNITY, TO DATE HAS NOT BEEN WIDELY USED FOR CLINICAL TESTING. ALSO, GENETIC INFORMATION IS ONLY PART OF THE RELEVANT INFORMATION FOR ASSESSING ANY GIVEN TRAIT OR LIKELIHOOD NOTED IN GENETIC TESTING. TRAITDNA BELIEVES THAT (A) GENETICS IS ONLY PART OF THE PICTURE OF ANY INDIVIDUAL’S STATE OF BEING, AND (B) THE STATE OF THE UNDERSTANDING OF GENETIC INFORMATION IS RAPIDLY EVOLVING AND AT ANY GIVEN TIME WE ONLY COMPREHEND PART OF THE PICTURE OF THE ROLE OF GENETICS. FOR THESE REASONS, TRAITDNA CANNOT AND DOES NOT GUARANTEE THAT GENETIC INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL BE ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CONCLUSIVE. GENETIC INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE SHOULD NOT BE RELIED UPON FOR ANY REASON WITHOUT INDEPENDENT VERIFICATION BY QUALIFIED INDEPENDENT EXPERTS.
- THE SERVICE MAY INCLUDE REFERENCES AND/OR LINKS TO THIRD PARTY PROVIDERS OF GENETIC INFORMATION PRODUCTS AND SERVICES (SUCH AS 23ANDME, ANCESTRY.COM, GENOPALATE, ATHLETIGEN, ETC.) (“THIRD PARTY DNA SERVICES”). TRAITDNA DOES NOT OWN OR CONTROL SUCH THIRD PARTY DNA SERVICES AND ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY FOR THEIR GENETIC INFORMATION PRODUCTS OR SERVICES. YOUR PURCHASE AND USE OF THIRD PARTY DNA SERVICES WILL BE GOVERNED BY THE TERMS AND POLICIES OF THE APPLICABLE THIRD PARTY PROVIDER, AND NOT BY TRAITDNA’ TERMS OR POLICIES. ANY CLAIM OR DISPUTE ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO YOUR PURCHASE OR USE OF THIRD PARTY DNA SERVICES MUST BE RESOLVED BETWEEN YOU AND THE APPLICABLE THIRD PARTY PROVIDER.
- ONCE YOU KNOW YOUR GENETIC INFORMATION, THE KNOWLEDGE IS IRREVERSIBLE. ALSO, THE INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE MAY NOT BE POSITIVE AND MAY BE UPSETTING TO YOU OR TO OTHERS WITH WHOM YOU CHOOSE TO SHARE THE INFORMATION. THEREFORE, IF YOU ELECT TO UPLOAD YOUR RAW DATA OR DO GENETIC TESTING AND ANALYSIS, YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK.
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL TRAITDNA BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY INJURY (INCLUDING EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, MENTAL ANGUISH, BODILY INJURY AND DEATH) OR LOSS ARISING FROM OR RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED THROUGH THE SERVICE (INCLUDING ANY ACTION OR INACTION BY YOU BASED ON SUCH INFORMATION), OR YOUR USE OF ANY THIRD PARTY DNA SERVICES (INCLUDING ANY GENETIC INFORMATION YOU OBTAINED FROM THIRD PARTY DNA SERVICES), OR YOUR FAILURE TO CONSULT WITH QUALIFIED INDEPENDENT EXPERTS OR SEEK PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE, DIAGNOSIS OR TREATMENT.
3. Genetic Counseling. Genetic testing and analysis may not be for everyone. If you are unsure about whether or not to do genetic testing and analysis, consult with your doctor, a genetic counselor, or other qualified health care professional first so that you can make an informed decision. If, after the testing and analysis, you need help with understanding or interpretation of the results, or if you have questions regarding the results, you should also consult with your doctor, a genetic counselor, or other qualified health care professional.
No one under the age of 18 is permitted to use the Service. However, parents and legal guardians who are otherwise eligible to use the Service may use the Service to obtain genetic information about their children under the age of 18.
5. Privacy. TraitDNA respects and values the privacy of users of the Service. Please read our Privacy Statement for information on our data collection, use and sharing policies and practices in connection with the Service.
6. Compliance with Laws. Your use of the Service is subject to applicable laws and regulations and compliance with such applicable laws and regulations is entirely your responsibility.
The Service’s software and technology components may be subject to U.S. export control laws and regulations. You shall not export, re-export, or transfer, directly or indirectly, any of the Service’s software or technology components, or any U.S. technical data acquired therefrom, or any products utilizing such data, in violation of the U.S. export laws or regulations.
8. Use of the Service. A main feature of the Service is genetic traits analysis, which allow you to learn and discover personal (non-medical) genetic traits (“Traits”) about yourself and/or others (if you have legal authority to obtain such information about them, or if they have given you authorization to obtain such information about them) in multiple categories including food/nutrition, sports/exercise, personality, physical characteristics, and intelligence (the “Traits Analysis”).
In order to identify a person’s relevant Traits, TraitDNA needs to first collect information about that person’s genotypes that is obtained through genetic testing (“Raw Data”). TRAITDNA collects Raw Data in a way:
(i) you can upload to the Service Raw Data obtained from a reputable third-party genetic testing source (23andMe, Ancestry.com, etc.), which TraitDNA can then analyze for the purpose of identifying relevant Traits.
The results of the Traits Analysis (i.e., individualized Traits information and reports) are viewable only through the Service (by logging into a password-protected account).
8.2 Informed Consent. In order for TraitDNA to collect Raw Data from you for the purpose of conducting the Traits Analysis, you must also submit a properly completed and signed consent form (the “Informed Consent”) to TraitDNA . In addition, TraitDNA may ask you to fill out a personal health and family history questionnaire (the “Questionnaire”), but this is optional and is not required.
8.3 Raw Data. By uploading your Raw Data from a third party source to the Service, you expressly give permission to TraitDNA to perform genetic testing and Traits Analysis on your DNA and you specifically request TraitDNA to disclose the testing and analysis results to you and to others you specifically authorize.
If you let TraitDNA collect and analyze Raw Data about another person (i.e., submitting another person’s saliva or blood (as applicable) sample to TraitDNA or uploading another person’s Raw Data to the Service), you warrant that: (i) you either have legal authority to do so (e.g., if you are a parent or legal guardian and are allowing TRAITDNA to collect and analyze Raw Data about your child under the age of 18), or have obtained express authorization from such person to allow TRAITDNA collect and analyze Raw Data about him/her; and (ii) you are not an insurance company or an employer attempting to obtain information about an insured person or an employee. Also, if you let TraitDNA collect and analyze Raw Data about another person, you are deemed submitting the Informed Consent (and the Questionnaire, which is optional) for and on behalf of such person.
If you submit a saliva or blood (as applicable) sample or upload Raw Data to the Service from outside the United States, you warrant that doing so does not violate any law or regulation in the country or jurisdiction in which you reside, and you expressly authorize and consent to TraitDNA processing, testing, analyzing, using and storing such sample or uploaded Raw Data (as the case may be) and all resulting genetic and Traits information, in the United States.
8.4 Subscription. Access to certain premium features of the Service will require a monthly subscription or à la carte purchase. For example, a monthly subscription is required if you wish to unlock all Traits available from TraitDNA, plus any new Traits that TraitDNA may introduce from time to time.
By making a subscription or à la carte purchase from TraitDNA, you warrant that you are the account holder (or an authorized user) of the payment card that you use to pay for your purchase, and that there are sufficient available funds on the card to cover your purchase. We may immediately suspend or terminate your account if we have any reason to believe that you have misrepresented or provided false payment information to us.
Prices and other terms for subscription and à la carte purchases may change at any time. The price and terms in place when you made your initial purchase or when your subscription last renewed will stay in effect for the then-current period of your subscription, but new prices and terms may apply to renewals or new subscription purchases. TRAITDNA will give you advance notice before new prices or terms go into effect. If you do not want to renew your subscription under the new price or terms, you may cancel your subscription as described below.
NO REFUND: Unless expressly otherwise specified by TRAITDNA, all subscription and à la carte purchases made on the Service are FINAL AND NON-REFUNDABLE.
8.5 Ownership; Grant of Licenses.
The TraitDNA™ name and logo and all other marks, logos, and other business identifiers of TraitDNA are registered or unregistered trademarks of TraitDNA (collectively, “Company Trademarks”). Any unauthorized use of our Company Trademarks is strictly prohibited and may result in civil and/or criminal penalties.
Third-party marks and logos appearing on the Service are the property of their respective owners.
For any individualized Traits information or reports (in any format or medium) you lawfully obtain from the Service, the foregoing license allows you to keep such information or reports for lawful personal and noncommercial uses only, and NOT for publication, distribution, sale or transfer to others (except that you may share such information or reports with family members, friends, and health care professionals, as long as it is for lawful personal and noncommercial uses only). Unless expressly authorized by applicable law or in writing by TraitDNA , you may not copy, reproduce, publicly perform or display, transmit, modify or otherwise create derivative works from, sell, distribute, or otherwise make unauthorized use of any individualized Traits information or reports obtained from the Service.
As a condition to your use of the Service, you expressly agree not to:
- use the Service for any unauthorized, fraudulent, or malicious purpose;
- use the Service in violation of any privacy, property or other right of another person, including, without limitation: impersonating another person on the Service, or registering an account on the Service in the name of another person when you have no legal authority or valid authorization to do so, or submitting another person’s saliva or blood sample or uploading another person’s Raw Data to the Service when you have no legal authority or valid authorization to do so;
- use the Service for any business or commercial purpose;
- use the Service in any manner that, in our sole judgment, could damage, disable, overburden, impair or interfere with others’ use of the Service;
- reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code or algorithm associated with the Service;
- use any robot, spider, or other automatic device, program, process or means to access the Service, including for monitoring or copying any content or information from the Service;
- access or attempt to access any Service system, server, hardware, software, account, content, report, data or information which you are not authorized to access; and
- use the Service from a foreign country that is subject to a U.S. Government embargo, or that has been designated by the U.S. Government as a “terrorist-supporting” country.
You further expressly acknowledge and agree that your use of any software comprised in the Service, including any downloadable software application you install on a computer or mobile device, is subject to the following additional conditions:
- Any such software is licensed, and not sold or transferred, to you.
- You may not redistribute, sell, offer to sell, lend, rent, lease, transfer, or otherwise furnish any such software to a third party.
- You may not modify, translate, or otherwise make derivative works from, or reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, or otherwise attempt to derive the source code of, any such software.
- You may not bypass, disable, deactivate or render ineffective (or attempt to do so) any security mechanism or firewall associated with any such software.
- You may not download, install, use, export or re-export any such software or any underlying information or technology except in full compliance with U.S. export control laws and regulations.
- From time to time we may make software updates to the Service, and you understand that it may be necessary for you to download and install such updates in order for the Service to work properly on your computer or mobile device.
8.5.3 User Data. Subject to the license granted by you to TraitDNA and Related Parties as provided below, you retain ownership of all “User Data,” which means and includes the following:
- “Account Information,” which refers to personal information (including, without limitation, name, email address, mailing address, phone number, date of birth, and payment card information) you provide to us when registering an account on the Service or making a purchase from us;
- “Self-Reported Information,” which refers to personal health and family history information you provide to us voluntarily (such as by completing the optional Questionnaire described in Section 8.2 above); and
- “Genetic Information,” which refers to all Raw Data you let TRAITDNA collect for conducting the Traits Analysis and all personal Traits information provided to you by TRAITDNA resulting from the Traits Analysis; provided, however, that you expressly acknowledge and agree that TRAITDNA owns and retains copyrights and other intellectual property rights in and to all protectable elements contained in the results of the Traits Analysis, including text, graphics, images, tables, charts, diagrams, notes, commentaries, and other original content contained therein, as well as the original selection, arrangement and organization of the individualized Traits information.
With respect to User Data, you expressly acknowledge and agree as follows:
- By providing Account Information to TRAITDNA, you expressly consent to TRAITDNA’ collection, use and sharing of such information as provided in our Privacy Statement.
- By accessing the Traits Analysis feature of the Service, you expressly grant to TRAITDNA and Related Parties a worldwide, non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid up, sublicensable and transferable license to collect, store, process, test, analyze, compare, index, use, reproduce, and otherwise exploit your Self-Reported Information and Genetic Information (whether such information pertains to you or another person) for any and all lawful purposes including, without limitation: (i) operating and providing the Service; (ii) making improvements and modifications to the Service; (iii) developing new genetic information products and services; (iv) conducting research in the fields of genomics and genetics; and (v) combining your and other users’ User-Volunteered Information and Genetic Information to compile and generate aggregated and anonymized data about users of the Service (no individual user will be identified or reasonably identifiable in such data) (“Aggregated and Anonymized Data”), and publishing, distributing, selling, licensing, and otherwise exploiting such data.
- We will delete your User Data: (i) as provided in our Privacy Statement; (ii) upon receipt of a written request from you (however, we reserve the right to verify your identity before acting on your request); (iii) upon deactivation of your account; (iv) if required to do so pursuant to applicable law or a valid court or government order; or (v) when we determine (in our sole discretion) that it is advisable to do so.
- All Aggregated and Anonymized Data will belong to TRAITDNA and Related Parties and may be used, exploited and retained indefinitely by TRAITDNA and Related Parties.
- Unless otherwise provided in a separate written agreement entered into by you and TRAITDNA, you will not receive any compensation, credit or attribution, and you expressly waive any and all rights and claims to compensation, credit and attribution, with respect to any research conducted, any new product or service developed, or any improvement to the Service made by TRAITDNA and Related Parties utilizing your Self-Reported Information and Genetic Information.
8.6 User Feedback. If you submit to TRAITDNA any ideas, stories, comments, reviews, testimonials, suggestions, or other feedback (whether solicited or unsolicited) regarding the Service (collectively, “Feedback”), you expressly acknowledge and agree that: (i) TRAITDNA and Related Parties will be free to copy, use, publish, adapt, and otherwise exploit your Feedback in perpetuity and throughout the world for any and all business purposes, including, without limitation, for publicity, advertising and promotion, product and service improvement, and development of new products and services; (ii) your Feedback submission is voluntary and consensual and is made without any condition or reservation of rights, including, without limitation, any condition of compensation, payment, credit, attribution, secrecy or confidentiality; (iii) your Feedback submission does not give rise to any contractual, fiduciary or confidential relationship of any kind (whether express or implied) between you and TRAITDNA; and (iv) your Feedback may be used and retained indefinitely by TRAITDNA and Related Parties.
9. Disclaimer of Warranties; Limitations of Liability. You expressly acknowledge and agree as follows:
- THE SERVICE AND ALL INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” WITH ALL FAULTS AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, TRAITDNA AND RELATED PARTIES DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE SERVICE AND ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND WARRANTIES OF TITLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT OF PROPRIETARY RIGHTS. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, TRAITDNA AND RELATED PARTIES DO NOT WARRANT THAT: (i) THE SERVICE WILL BE RELIABLE OR USEFUL, OR WILL MEET YOUR EXPECTATIONS; (ii) THE SERVICE WILL BE ERROR-FREE, OR ANY DEFECTS OR ERROR IN THE SERVICE WILL BE CORRECTED; (iv) THE SERVICE WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ANY PARTICULAR TIME OR LOCATION; OR (v) THE SERVICE WILL BE SECURE AND FREE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS.
- TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL TRAITDNA AND RELATED PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANY OTHER USER (WHETHER UNDER CONTRACT, TORT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY, WARRANTY OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE THEORY) FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, PERSONAL INJURY, PAIN AND SUFFERING, EMOTIONAL DISTRESS, MENTAL ANGUISH, LOSS OF USE, AND LOSS OF DATA) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO (i) THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE OR (ii) YOUR USE OF (OR INABILITY TO USE) OR YOUR RELIANCE ON THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE, EVEN IF TRAITDNA AND RELATED PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH LOSS OR DAMAGES.
- TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL TRAITDNA AND RELATED PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO (i) THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE OR (ii) YOUR USE OF (OR INABILITY TO USE) OR YOUR RELIANCE ON THE SERVICE OR ANY INFORMATION PROVIDED THROUGH THE SERVICE, IN A TOTAL AMOUNT THAT EXCEEDS THE SUBSCRIPTION FEES ACTUALLY PAID BY YOU TO TRAITDNA DURING THE THREE (3) MONTHS IMMEDIATELY PRECEDING THE OCCURRENCE FOR WHICH DAMAGES ARE CLAIMED, OR FIFTY U.S. DOLLARS (US$50.00), WHICHEVER IS GREATER.
BECAUSE SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES, DAMAGES OR LIABILITIES, SOME OF THE EXCLUSIONS AND LIMITATIONS SET FORTH ABOVE MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. NOTHING IN THIS SECTION 9 AFFECTS ANY CONSUMER RIGHT OR REMEDY THAT CANNOT BE EXCLUDED OR LIMITED UNDER APPLICABLE LAW.
10. Indemnification; Hold Harmless. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless TraitDNA and Related Parties and their respective shareholders, investors, members, officers, directors, employees, agents, representatives, advisors, and contractors from and against any and all third-party claims, losses, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including reasonable attorney’s fees) arising out of or relating to: (i) your use or misuse of the Service or any third party product or service; (ii) any saliva or blood sample submitted by you, or any Raw Data uploaded by you; (iii) your violation of these Term of Use or any applicable law or regulation; (iv) your violation of any intellectual property, privacy, contractual, or other right of any other person or entity; or (v) any agreement or purchase transaction you enter into with a third party product or service provider. TraitDNA reserves the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and settlement of any claim for which you are required to indemnify us and you agree to cooperate with our defense and settlement of such claim.
11.1 Agreement to Arbitrate. This Section 11 is referred to herein as the “Arbitration Agreement.” The United States Federal Arbitration Act (9 U.S.C. §§ 1-16) governs the interpretation and enforcement of this Arbitration Agreement.
There is no judge or jury in arbitration, and court review of an arbitration award is limited. However, an arbitrator can award on an individual basis the same damages and relief as a court.
11.2 CLASS ACTION WAIVER. YOU AND TRAITDNA AGREE THAT EACH PARTY MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY ON AN INDIVIDUAL BASIS AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE ACTION OR PROCEEDING. UNLESS BOTH YOU AND TRAITDNA AGREE OTHERWISE, THE ARBITRATOR MAY NOT CONSOLIDATE OR JOIN MORE THAN ONE PERSON’S OR PARTY’S CLAIMS AND MAY NOT OTHERWISE PRESIDE OVER ANY FORM OF A CONSOLIDATED, REPRESENTATIVE, OR CLASS PROCEEDING. ALSO, THE ARBITRATOR MAY AWARD RELIEF (INCLUDING MONETARY, INJUNCTIVE, AND DECLARATORY RELIEF) ONLY IN FAVOR OF THE INDIVIDUAL PARTY SEEKING RELIEF AND ONLY TO THE EXTENT NECESSARY TO PROVIDE RELIEF NECESSITATED BY THAT PARTY’S INDIVIDUAL CLAIM(S).
11.3 Procedures. Arbitration will be conducted by a single and neutral arbitrator in accordance with the American Arbitration Association’s (“AAA”) Consumer Arbitration Rules and procedures (the “AAA Rules”), as modified by this Arbitration Agreement. If there is any inconsistency between the AAA Rules and this Arbitration Agreement, the terms of this Arbitration Agreement will control unless the arbitrator determines that the application of the inconsistent Arbitration Agreement terms would not result in a fundamentally fair arbitration. To learn more about arbitration through the AAA, visit http://www.adr.org. The AAA Rules are available at https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/Consumer_Rules_Web_0.pdf or by calling the AAA at 1-800-778-7879.
Prior to initiating arbitration, you and we agree to first make reasonable efforts to try to resolve a Claim amicably through good-faith negotiations. If a Claim cannot be resolved amicably within 60 days after a party gives written notice (email sufficient) of the Claim to the other, then either party may initiate arbitration in accordance with this Arbitration Agreement.
To initiate arbitration, a party must provide the other party with a written Demand for Arbitration as specified in the AAA Rules (form available at https://www.adr.org/sites/default/files/document_repository/Consumer_Demand_for_Arbitration_Form_1.pdf).
If we initiate arbitration, we will send our written Demand for Arbitration to you at the email or mailing address you have provided to us.
11.4 Venue. The arbitration shall be held in the county in which you reside or at another mutually agreed location. If the value of the relief sought is $10,000 or less, you or TraitDNA may elect to have the arbitration conducted by telephone or based solely on written submissions, which election shall be binding on each party, but subject to the arbitrator’s discretion to require an in-person hearing if the circumstances warrant. Attendance at any in-person hearing may be made by telephone by either or both parties unless the arbitrator requires otherwise.
11.5 Confidentiality. You and TraitDNA agree that the entire arbitration proceeding will be conducted in a confidential manner and that the arbitrator’s decision and award will be kept confidential by both parties and, except as may be required by applicable law or a valid court order, will not be disclosed to any third party without the express prior written consent of both parties.
11.6 Costs of Arbitration. Payment of all filing, administration, and arbitrator fees (collectively, the “Arbitration Fees”) will be governed by the AAA Rules. Each party will be responsible for all other fees it incurs in connection with the arbitration, including without limitation, all attorney fees.
11.7 Severability. If a court decides that any term or provision of this Arbitration Agreement other than Section 11.2 is invalid or unenforceable, the parties agree to replace such term or provision with a term or provision that is valid and enforceable and that comes closest to expressing the intention of the invalid or unenforceable term or provision, and this Arbitration Agreement shall be enforceable as so modified.
With respect to any Claim (as defined in Section 11.1 above) that is not subject to arbitration under Section 11 above, or in the event the arbitration agreement set forth in Section 11 above is found to be void or unenforceable: (i) you and we each agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the state or federal courts located in the City of San Francisco, California, U.S.A. to resolve any non-arbitrable Claim; and (ii) you agree to waive all defenses of lack of personal jurisdiction, venue and/or forum non conveniens with respect to venue and jurisdiction in the aforementioned courts.
15. Electronic Communications. When you communicate with the Company through the Service or send us email, you are communicating with us electronically. You hereby: (a) consent to receive communications from Company in an electronic form; and (b) agree that all terms and conditions, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that such communications be in writing. The foregoing does not affect any rights you may have which cannot be waived under applicable law.
17. Contact Information. The Service is provided by TraitDNA, Inc. If you have any questions, complaints or claims with respect to the Service, you may contact us at [email protected]